
What does the season of Lent have to do with the rest of the world? Isn't it a private thing about giving up food? See the global connection in this insightful post by Andrew about Food Chains (Feb. 24)
I appreciated what he had to say about food producers and it reminded me of my time working for Pura Vida Coffee. They are a fair trade, for-profit company that funds ministry in Costa Rica and sustains farmers and families in the process. I was an under-employed designer doing mostly typing and filing, but felt I was doing something, nevertheless, to make a difference.
Another designer who feels strongly about green is Steve C. in the UK. He spotlights Progreso as a coffee company with similar ideals. Kind of opposite to the highly profitable world-dominant Seattle based company with the green logo.
Anyway, I will be thinking of fasting a little bit differently now, and that how I choose to do it can actually loose the bonds of oppression somewhere else in the world.
Is this not the kind of fasting I have chosen: to loose the chains of injustice and untie the cords of the yoke, to set the oppressed free and break every yoke? Is it not to share your food with the hungry and to provide the poor wanderer with shelter – when you see the naked, to clothe him, and not to turn away from your own flesh and blood? Isaiah 58:6, 7

1 comment:
Lots of factors, yes, but, I don't think the farmers have that much choice or leverage in the equation. If we intentionally participate in providing them a choice through FairTrade to receive fair wages so they can support their families, then we can help to 'untie the cords of the yoke' (of poverty.) I have seen it up close with PVCoffee. I know Chris who works with the programs full time in Costa Rica. Besides fair wages, at risk kids are helped, and safer environmental practices are making a difference. For more info see puravidacoffee.com/work/work_body.asp or progreso.org.uk/more.html
Also a related question is addressed by Andrew in the comments section of his orig. post at dowsetts.blogspot.com
Thanks.
Post a Comment